Why do uterine calcium deposits occur?

I had a IUD for a while, that I eventually got removed. But afterwards, my OBGYN located 'calcium deposits' in my uterus that she said may have actually been the result of my IUD. How can we know if this was the true cause, or if I'm at risk of having more calcium deposits?
There are two main causes of calcium deposits in the uterus. The first is having an IUD. Basically what happens over time is that calcium can buildup on the surface of the IUD. This is a normal chemical reaction of body fluids with the IUD and is not in and of itself a problem. Usually, if the IUD becomes significantly calcified it is removed, as was done in your case. The calcium does not usually buildup on the uterus itself, so if you have calcium 'in' your uterus, then it is more likely that you have the second cause of calcium deposits, which is uterine fibroids. Uterine fibroids, or leiomyomas, are a very common type of tumor of the muscular layer of the uterus. The occur in up to half of all women by middle age. They are almost always benign, not cancerous, although sometimes they can cause pain, heavy bleeding, or infertility. Sometimes, as the fibroids mature and age, they can collect small amounts of calcium inside of them. This can give the uterus or the fibroids a 'speckled' appearance by ultrasound. Once again, this finding of calcium is not a major concern or a health risk. If you have more questions about this issue, don't hesitate to discuss them in further detail with your OB / GYN doctor.

Nearby OB-GYNs