ZocdocAnswersCan diet help with vaginal dryness?

Question

Can diet help with vaginal dryness?

Is it true that there are things you can add to your diet to help with vaginal dryness? I've dealt all my life with vaginal dryness, and would like to address it in the most natural way possible, as opposed to using a type of chemical that might be toxic in the long run.

Answer

Any symptom that you develop that effects your sex life can be a source of distress. The best types of physicians to see for this type of problem is an OBGYN or a primary care physician such as a family doctor or internal medicine doctor. Vaginal dryness occurs for different reasons depending on whether you are pre, or post menopausal. If you are pre-menopausal, then vaginal dryness before intercourse is often due to lack of arousal before sexual intercourse. Increasing the amount of foreplay can help increase the amount of lubrication fluid that is released. If you are post-menopause, vaginal dryness may be due to lower estrogen levels. In severe cases, vaginal estrogen preparations can be used to increase vaginal lubrication. These hormones do not get absorbed in the body, so are not toxic in the long run. In any case, the use of a personal lubricant such as KY jelly will help you situation and will have no long term implications. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician or OBGYN, whoever you see for you feminine health. He or she can take a more detailed history of your symptoms and perform a thorough physical exam. Perhaps your doctor can suggest a method to help with your vaginal dryness that takes into account your particular situation. Good luck.