ZocdocAnswersCan removing the uterus cause anxiety?

Question

Can removing the uterus cause anxiety?

I had a hysterectomy due to really extensive problems with my fallopian tubes, and I'm now being crippled by an anxiety problem that is totally new to me. I know the uterus is important for hormone regulation - is it possible that the hysterectomy is causing my anxiety?

Answer

Hysterectomy is one of the most common types of surgery, and it is usually well tolerated but occasionally there are complications. The doctors who will be well qualified to discuss this issue with you include your primary care doctor or your OB / GYN doctor. Many hysterectomies involve removal of the ovaries. Removal of the ovaries results in menopause from the sudden withdrawal of the female hormones. In addition to the effects on menstruation, hot flashes, and the like, the withdrawal of these hormones can also have profound effects on mood, causing depression, fatigue, sadness, and anxiety. Even if the ovaries were not removed, the blood flow to the ovaries often decreases after the hysterectomy operation, which can lead to functionally lower levels of circulating hormones, producing basically the same effect. So the short answer to your question is, yes. The new anxiety you are experiencing could be related to your recent hysterectomy, and it should be evaluated as soon as possible to see what treatments might be available. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor as soon as possible is strongly recommended.