What causes vaginal pain?

What causes vaginal pain? My pain is kind of dull, just spread out and achy, and it seems to kind of permeate my whole vaginal canal. It doesn't get any worse when I pee. I notice that taking a batch seems to be the only thing that relieves it, but I have no idea why.
Pain in the genital area can be a source of a lot of distress. The best types of physicians to see for this type of problem is an obstetrician / gynecologist or primary care physician such as a family doctor or internal medicine doctor. Genital area pain can be due to a number of different infections and conditions. The pain you are describing most closely fits a pain syndrome called vulvodynia. The symptoms of vulvodynia are burning irritation, or dull pain that occurs in an around the female genitalia. Pain usually gets worse when anything is placed in or around the vagina such as a penis or tampon. This is why often the main complain women have is painful sex. It is also common for a hot bath to reduce this pain. Other causes of vaginal pain include genital herpes. This is caused by the herpes simplex virus and results in painful ulcers that come and go. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN or primary care physician, whoever you see for your feminine health. He or she can take a detailed history of your symptoms and perform a thorough physical exam. Hopefully your doctor will be able to determine the origin or your pain. Good luck.

Nearby OB-GYNs