ZocdocAnswersWhat does a very soft cervix indicate?

Question

What does a very soft cervix indicate?

What does it mean if you have a very soft cervix? I have been told by two gynecologists that my cervix was softer than normal, but they both said it didn't necessarily mean that anything was wrong. But if this is even a POTENTIAL problem, I want to know about it now.

Answer

Sometimes when performing a physical exam, physicians will make comments about findings without actually explaining what they mean. In this case it sounds like you doctors tried reassuring you by telling you that it didn't necessarily mean that anything was wrong. What they meant by that is that you have a cervix that feels softer than normal, but that it does not indicate any type of disease. The texture of the cervix can change depending on several factors. In the non-pregnant female, the cervix and its mucus can change depending on where you are in your cycle. In the pregnant female, the cervix becomes softer as the date of deliver gets closer. This is so that the cervix can open up adequately for the birth of a child. In your case, most likely your cervix is within normal limits, but is just a little softer than average. This finding is not specific to any disease, and most likely no additional testing is needed. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OB / GYN. You can discuss this issue in depth with him or her and ask if there is anything that needs looked into further. Most likely no additional testing will be done, and you will be given only reassurance. Good luck.