ZocdocAnswersWhat is Endometrial Hyperplysia?

Question

What is Endometrial Hyperplysia?

Because I have polycystic ovary syndrome, my obgyn tells me I'm at special risk for endometrial hyperplasia, which she described as a 'thickening' process. I don't understand what makes this dangerous, or why it's even a problem. What is is endometrial hyperplasia?

Answer

Endometrial hyperplaysia is a condition causing the endometrial lining of the uterus to proliferate excessively. This is often found in patients who have an over production of estrogen and low levels of progesterone. Having polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is one cause for endometrial hyperplaysia. Other causes include estrogen producing tumors, and estrogen supplementation. The other concern in patients with high levels of estrogen is the possibility of endometrial cancer as the estrogen causes an excessive proliferation of the endometrial cells which have the risk of forming abnormal cells which can become neoplastic. The diagnosis of endometrial hyperplaysia is done by endometrial biopsy. This is done either in the outpatient setting or through a curettage. The other concern related to endometrial hyperplasia and overproduction of estrogen is that there is a high risk for infertility. Therapy for endometrial hyperplaysia must be tailored to each patient, but it often includes hormonal therapies and possibly hysterectomy. The risks of endometrial hyperplasia and all potential treatment strategies are beyond the scope of this discussion, but it is recommended that you discuss all possibilities with your ob/gyn who will be best able to evaluate your medical history and presenting complaints and best decide upon the proper work up and treatment strategy.