ZocdocAnswersWhat do sores around the labia indicate?

Question

What do sores around the labia indicate?

What could it mean for a woman to have sores around her labia? I have a bunch of small sores - smaller than a dime - around my labia. They don't bleed, or itch, or anything, but of course they are raw and painful. Are there things that cause this that aren't STDs?

Answer

Sores around your genitalia, even if they are tolerable, should be evaluated right away by a qualified health care professional. This is especially true if you are sexually active. The best types of physicians to see for this type of issue is an OB / GYN or a primary care physician such as a family doctor or internal medicine doctor. Painful sores near the labia, especially if you are sexually active may be genital herpes. Herpes is caused by the Herpes Simplex Virus. It causes painful, sometimes burning ulcers near the genitalia that show up and are very annoying for a couple weeks before they go away. They tend to reappear during times of stress or when the immune system is knocked down. There are other non-STD possibilities including ingrown hairs, and other types of viral infections other than herpes. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OB / GYN or primary care physician, whoever you see for your feminine health. He or she will be able to take a more detailed history of how these sores came about and perform a thorough examination of them. Depending on how they appear, your doctor may try to swab one of them for further laboratory analysis. Good luck.