ZocdocAnswersWhat is a dilation and curettage (D&C)?

Question

What is a dilation and curettage (D&C)?

I have polycystic ovary syndrome for which my OBGYN recommended I get a ""dilation and curettage"" type procedure. I definitely want to do what it takes to treat my disease, but what exactly is dilation and curettage? And how is supposed to help me?

Answer

A dilatation and curettage is a procedure where an OBGYN dilates the cervical opening and with a brush or other surgical instruments, removes the inner lining of you uterus. Th cervical opening (also known as the cervical os), is opened by placing progressively bigger probe instruments into the cervix which allows for a gradual non-traumatic dilation. The purpose of the procedure is to remove the endometrium (inner ling of the uterus) when it is causing problems. It is also used to remove miscarriages that did not expel on their own. In your case, your doctor is most likely removing excess endometrial tissue that has built up over time. I imagine that you periods are very erratic and you are having abnormal bleeding. The D & C will at least temporarily slow down this bleeding and "reset" your uterus to what it should be towards the end of your period. There are rare complications of the procedure that you should discuss with your OBGYN. For example, there is a low risk that the procedure could cause injury to your uterus. This includes the development of scar tissue within the uterus, a phenomenon known as Asherman's syndrome. This complication has the potential to effect your fertility. Make sure to talk to your doctor about these issues. Good luck.