ZocdocAnswersWhat causes fallopian tubes to tear?

Question

What causes fallopian tubes to tear?

I remember that my mother, who is long deceased, had problems with a torn fallopian tube that she was put in the hospital for. But I can't remember why this happened, or how, so now I'm just trying to figure out what my risks are. Is it possible that the risk factors for tearing a fallopian tube are inherited?

Answer

It is difficult to say what exactly was going on with your mother, but I can speculate a bit. Fortunately, none of the possible causes of what you describe as a 'torn fallopian tube' that I can think of would be hereditary. I think the most likely possibility is that your mother had an ectopic pregnancy. This occurs when a pregnancy develops within the fallopian tube instead of the uterus. Obviously, since the fallopian tube is a very small structure this leads to serious problems as the pregnancy develops, include eventual possible rupture of the fallopian tube. Another possibility would be scarring of the fallopian tube from something call pelvic inflammatory disease. This occurs when bacteria climb up through the uterus into the fallopian tubes and cause an infection. This can lead to inflammation of the fallopian tubes and sometimes the formation of a large abscess of pus, called a tuboovarian abscess, which could rupture and tear the fallopian tube if it got large enough. As I said, neither of these condition would be hereditary. However, as always, if you have any concerns about your sexual or reproductive health you should always feel free to talk to your OB GYN doctor or your primary care doctor.