ZocdocAnswersCan one get their period while pregnant?

Question

Can one get their period while pregnant?

Is it possible for a woman to get her period while she is pregnant? I'm in my second trimester and I was spotting a little bit this morning. If it turns out to be a full-blown period, is it still possible that I'm carrying my baby? I'm seeing my doctor this afternoon, but I just want to be prepared.

Answer

It is never normal to have bleeding or spotting during pregnancy. This does not represent your "period" but rather bleeding from the placenta or uterina lining which can be an early sign of a pregnancy complication or premature labor. There are several possible causes of bleeding during pregnancy, including vasa previa or placenta previa, where the umbilical vessels or placenta lie close to the cervix and can leak blood. Similarly, placental abruption, where the placenta separates from the uterus, can cause bleeding. Finally premature contractions or labors can cause spotting. All of these conditions put the mother and baby at risk and should be evaluated by your doctor. If you have a lot of continual bleeding or if you do not feel your baby moving you should go to the emergency room. Otherwise, you should be evaluated urgently by your OB / GYN doctor. As always the diagnosis and management of your particular concerns will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Bleeding during pregnancy is an emergency and should be evaluated urgently by your OB / GYN doctor or in the emergency room by an emergency medicine doctor.