ZocdocAnswersCan an artificial hip make one infertile?

Question

Can an artificial hip make one infertile?

I'm a woman in my early 30s who had to get an artificial hip after an accident several years ago. Now I'm trying to get pregnant with my partner, and we are having zero success rate. My question is this: could the artifical be interfering in some way with my fertility?

Answer

I am sorry to hear about the accident that you suffered that required to undergo a hip replacement operation. Generally these operations are very well tolerated, however, and there should be no reason to expect that the hip operation will have impacted your fertility. The only thing to make certain of is that the accident you were in did not also result in damage to pelvic organs, such as the ovaries, as this could potentially impact your fertility. If this was not the case, then the next step is to figure out how long you have been trying to get pregnant. For a woman of your age, most fertility doctors would not consider you to have a fertility problem unless you have been trying to get pregnant (meaning not using contraceptives and having sex regularly) for more than 12 months. In other words, most doctors would not start an infertility workup until you have been trying for at least this period of time. Although there is a lot of information about trying to time intercourse with ovulation to maximize chances of getting pregnant, ovulation can be hard to predict. Therefore, the best advice is to have sex regularly, probably 3 times a week, until you conceive. If this does not work for you, then you can talk with your OB / GYN doctor about starting an infertility workup.