ZocdocAnswersHow often can fallopian tubes get blocked?

Question

How often can fallopian tubes get blocked?

I had a lot of abdominal pain last year that turned out to be a blocked fallopian tube, for which I had extensive treatment. Now I've got a kind of pain that feels exactly the same. How often can blocked fallopian tubes happen to a woman. What else can cause this kind of pain?

Answer

Blocked fallopian tubes are usually caused by scarring of the tube from pelvic inflammatory disease, although there can be other causes such as endometriosis. Pelvic inflammatory disease is usually caused by infection with chlamydia, which is a bacteria transmitted sexually. The bacteria gets into the uterus and fallopian tubes and causes significant inflammation, pelvic pain, and scar tissue in the pelvic organs. If this is what happened to you, it was probably treated with several antibiotics to resolve the infection. Recurrent pain after an episode of pelvic inflammatory disease can occur in two ways. The first possibility is that you can get reinfected with the bacteria again and have another episode of the pelvic inflammatory disease. This is especially likely if you have had unprotected sex with an infected partner. If so, you should have a physical examination by your primary care doctor to confirm the diagnosis and to determine if you need another course of antibiotics to treat it. The second possibility is that you can have permanent scar tissue from the first episode. This can cause chronic pelvic or abdominal pain, and it should be discussed with your OB / GYN doctor as there may be medications or surgery required to help alleviate the pain.