ZocdocAnswersCan swelling near the ovaries be a hernia?

Question

Can swelling near the ovaries be a hernia?

Can swelling near the ovaries be caused by a hernia? I'm a 32 year old woman, and I'm having this kind of swelling, and in some ways a hernia would be the best case scenario, because I'd rather not find out that it's something more serious that's wrong with my ovaries.

Answer

A swelling in your pelvic area, especially if it is new, should be evaluated by your doctor. This is because there is no way to tell for sure what is causing this swelling until you are evaluated. Since we do not know for sure what the origin of the swelling is, the best type of doctor for you to see would either be a primary care physician such as a family doctor or internal medicine doctor. If it is found to be an ovarian or uterine problem then you can get a referral to an OBGYN. If it is a hernia, then you can get a referral to a surgeon. A swelling in the pelvic area can be due to an ovarian problem, a fallopian tube problem, a uterine problem, a hernia, or a problem with the other organs in this area (bladder, colon etc). If you have not had a prior pelvic surgery, then statistically speaking a hernia is much less likely than something else like an ovarian cyst or a uterine fibroid. Ovarian cysts are very common and can cause pelvic pain and occasionally the feeling of a mass. Ovarian cysts should always be looked into, but many of them go away on their own and cause no problems with your fertility. Uterine fibroids are benign tumors of the uterus which can cause a mass in the pelvis and often result in heavy menstrual bleeding. Since these are only two of many possibilities, you should seek attention from your doctor very soon.