ZocdocAnswersWhat are the symptoms of uterine fibroids?

Question

What are the symptoms of uterine fibroids?

I keep reading about uterine fibroids, but no one ever bothers to lay our exactly what symptoms to look for. I do have some menstrual problems. Doesn't everybody? What are the first symptoms to look for if you have fibroids?

Answer

Uterine fibroids are an extremely common type of benign uterine tumor. The best type of physician to see for this issue is a board certified obstetrician and gynecologist. As stated above, fibroids are a benign, slow growing tumor that arise from the muscle cells of the uterus. Conversion to a malignant cancer is very rare and thus, fibroids are not removed unless there are unacceptable symptoms. Most fibroids do not cause symptoms and are found incidentally during a pelvic ultrasound. When they do cause symptoms, most women complain of heavy menstrual bleeding pelvic pain or fullness. Treatment that is offered depends on the severity of the symptoms. The treatment of choice for a women that is not going to have any more kids is a hysterectomy. For women that want to keep having kids, the fibroids can be removed or there blood supply cut off causing them to shrivel up. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with you OBGYN. He or she can take a detailed history of your menstrual symptoms and perform a thorough physical exam. If you have any symptoms that are worrisome for fibroids your doctor may perform a transvaginal or pelvic ultrasound. Good luck.