ZocdocAnswersCan IUDS be used with a bicornuate uterus?

Question

Can IUDS be used with a bicornuate uterus?

I have a bicornuate uterus, and interested in getting an IUD as a birth control option. Is it possible for me to get one, or does the condition of my uterus prevent it. If I do get it, are there certain precautions I should take?

Answer

A bicornuate uterus is an anatomic anomaly where two "horns" form at the top of the uterus forming a heart-like shape. It occurs in about 1% of women and often goes undiagnosed as there are often no symptoms. Spontaneous abortion is more common in women with this condition. An IUD is a small T shaped device that is inserted into the uterus to prevent pregnancy. It is very effective form of birth control as it can be inserted and left for 5-10 years depending on the type of IUD. However, there are certain contraindications of which having a bicornuate uterus is one. The reason for this is because the IUD would be inserted into only one horn of the uterus in most cases making it possible for a fertilized egg to still be able to implant in the other horn resulting in an unintended pregnancy. Therefore, other forms of birth control such as the pill or the depo shot might be a better option for you. However, it is important to discuss your concerns with your primary care doctor or gynecologist and determine what is the best option for birth control based on your specific needs and medical history.