What causes a sustained enlarged clitoris?

Why would a woman's clitoris become enlarged and seemingly remain that way for an extended period of time? I first noticed that my clitoris was swollen several weeks ago after getting out of the shower, and I've been waiting for it to return to normal, but it won't.
An enlarge clitoris is known as clitoromegaly. This is a condition that requires medical attention. I strongly encourage you to see your primary care doctor or OB/GYN. Clitoromegaly can be caused by a few things. Blood vessel damage can cause this, for example if the venous drainage of blood is damaged. This is rare. The most common of clitoromegaly is excess androgens. Androgens are male type hormones such as testosterone. Excess testosterone can cause other virilization, such as hair growth on the arms or legs or face, male pattern baldness, excess sweating, deepening of the voice or increased muscle mass. Causes of excess androgens can be from external causes (testosterone from your male partner if he uses a testosterone gel or patch or from anabolic steroids). There are endocrine or hormone problems that can cause it. Polycystic ovarian syndrome can cause it. Excess steroid production from a tumor in the ovary or in the adrenal gland can also cause it. Excess progesterone from birth control pills might also cause it. I strongly encourage you to see your OB/GYN. This is a condition that should be investigated. If you have any other symptoms of virilization then this is of even more concern. Good luck.