Are injuries common during a hysterectomy?

How common is it for a woman to be injured during a hysterectomy? I ask because since I got my hysterectomy, several months ago, I have had strange pains that seem like the could only be consistent with my having been damaged in some way during the procedure. I'm 42 years old.
This is an excellent question. Many people have questions about recovery from and the complications of a hysterectomy. The doctors who will be well qualified to discuss this issue with you in greater detail include your primary care doctor or your OB / GYN doctor. Hysterectomy, or surgical removal of the uterus, is an extremely common surgery. It is usually tolerated very well with few complications. However, the recovery period after hysterectomy can take quite a while, especially if the hysterectomy was performed with an abdominal incision. Often twinges of pain can persists for one or two months, although these should gradually get better over time. If you are still having significant pain, you should see your doctor to consider other possibilities. For example, sometimes after abdominal surgery small pieces of scar tissue form between the loops of the intestines called adhesions. These can cause intermittent bloating, abdominal pain, and cramping. Additionally if you have any vaginal bleeding, urinary symptoms, or other concerning symptoms these should be checked out. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concerns will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor or your OB / GYN doctor is strongly recommended.