Book now. It's free!

Can a hysterectomy cause yeast infections?

I'm 49 and it seems as if I'm much more prone to yeast infections since I got my uterus removed. Is this even possible? Is it a normal side effect of getting a hysterectomy? I know it could just be a fluke, but it seems beyond coincidence in how frequently it's been happening;.
Immediately after hysterectomy, many women take antibiotics as part of the routine prevention of the surgical wound. These antibiotics can disrupt the vaginal flora and lead to yeast infection. Subsequently, more chronically, the decrease in blood flow to the ovaries (or removal of the ovaries) that usually accompanies the hysterectomy can lead to lower circulating levels of female hormones. These have effects on the vaginal mucosa and the normal bacteria that live there. In some women, this can predispose to chronic yeast infections. Avoiding harsh chemical treatments as well as douching can help, as both of these approaches kill off vaginal bacteria and can actually make the yeast infections worse. In addition, taking a daily probiotic supplement may help to keep the infections at bay. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concerns will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor might be advised.
Have further Questions? See a doctor!