ZocdocAnswersAre itchy breasts something to worry about?

Question

Are itchy breasts something to worry about?

How worried should I be if my breasts are often itchy? I sometimes feel like it's irritation due to the kinds of bras I use, but I can't really experiment with not wearing bras for vey long without some pain, so I don't know. I've heard that itchiness can be a cancer sign, though...

Answer

To dispel your fears, itching of the breasts is almost certainly not a sign of cancer. Only one rare form of breast cancer, called Paget's disease, does present with scaling and ulceration of the nipple of the breast which can sometimes itch. Generalized itching of the breasts is not a sign of cancer. The most like cause is simply chafing or irritation from the bra. Although you should not go without a bra, it might be worse making sure that the bra you have is not too tight. You might also experiment with different bra materials to find one that is less irritating and use a good moisturizing lotion. Sometimes fungal infections of the skin under the breasts can cause itching. The skin is often reddened and scaling and responds well to antifungal creams. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor is advised.