ZocdocAnswersWhat are the symptoms of an enlarged ovary?

Question

What are the symptoms of an enlarged ovary?

How exactly would you know if you have an enlarged ovary? I was told after a recent scan by my obgyn that one of my ovaries is enlarged , and that it really wasn't anything to worry about, but I still would like to keep an eye on it to make sure it does go down. What changes should I look for?

Answer

An enlarged ovary is a fairly vague description, but I think that I will be able to give you some useful information. An enlarged ovary can occur because of a variety of reasons. Probably the most common reason an ovary becomes enlarged is a cyst. Cysts are fluid filled, membrane bound structures that form for many different reasons. Some cysts occur normally from time to time and regress. Others appear and persist, or even get bigger. Cysts that don't go away or get bigger often need biopsied. This is because a very small percentage of cysts are due to ovarian cancer (about 5%). This may be why your doctor wants to first watch the ovary. If the enlargement goes away, then it may not be necessary to put you through a biopsy. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBYGN. He or she will be able to tell you exactly what they think the enlargement of the ovary is, and therefore what they expect it to do. I imagine that it is likely a cyst, and your doctor expects it to go away on its own. If it does not go away on its own, then plans may be made to do a biopsy of it to determine exactly what it is.