Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Do dilated fallopian tubes indicate cancer?"


I'm 38 and had a gynecological exam not too long ago, after which my doctor did some tests and concluded that A) I have a blocked fallopian tube and B) I have a dilated fallopian tube. What does this mean? Is it a sign that I have cancer, or am I overreacting?


Blocked fallopian tubes, or a fallopian tube obstruction, is one of the most common causes of infertility in women. The fallopian tubes connect the ovaries to the uterus and therefore allow the passage of the egg into the uterus from the ovary; hence a blocked tube prevents the movement of the egg toward and implantation in the uterus. Almost all cases of fallopian tube obstruction are not caused by cancer or tumors.

See a doctor who can help

Find a Obgyns near you

Rather they are caused by scarring. The most common reasons to have scarred fallopian tubes is a prior history of pelvic inflammatory disease, which is usually caused by the sexually transmitted infection chlamydia. Other abdominal or pelvic infections can also, rarely, cause similar scarring and obstruction of the fallopian tubes. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concerns will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor or your OB / GYN doctor might be advised.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.