ZocdocAnswersDo dilated fallopian tubes indicate cancer?

Question

Do dilated fallopian tubes indicate cancer?

I'm 38 and had a gynecological exam not too long ago, after which my doctor did some tests and concluded that A) I have a blocked fallopian tube and B) I have a dilated fallopian tube. What does this mean? Is it a sign that I have cancer, or am I overreacting?

Answer

Blocked fallopian tubes, or a fallopian tube obstruction, is one of the most common causes of infertility in women. The fallopian tubes connect the ovaries to the uterus and therefore allow the passage of the egg into the uterus from the ovary; hence a blocked tube prevents the movement of the egg toward and implantation in the uterus. Almost all cases of fallopian tube obstruction are not caused by cancer or tumors. Rather they are caused by scarring. The most common reasons to have scarred fallopian tubes is a prior history of pelvic inflammatory disease, which is usually caused by the sexually transmitted infection chlamydia. Other abdominal or pelvic infections can also, rarely, cause similar scarring and obstruction of the fallopian tubes. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concerns will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor or your OB / GYN doctor might be advised.