Click to book now:

How soon into pregnancy does placenta form?

How long after getting pregnant does the placenta form? I heard that until there is a placenta, alcohol won't actually get shared with the baby, and this is important because I was in fact drinking before I realized I was pregnant. So how long does it take?
You can increase you chances of having a healthy pregnancy by being as educated as possible about all of these matters. The best type of physician to consult with about this is an OBGYN. The placenta is the structure that links the maternal uterus with the growing fetus. The placenta begins forming at the point of implantation, which is about 8 days after the point of conception. Nutrient exchange between mother and fetus begins at this time, though the circulation of the placenta does not fully develop till the end of the first trimester. Unfortunately, there are no clear guidelines to say when during the pregnancy consuming alcohol is or is not harmful to the fetus. This is why it is still recommended not to consume an alcohol during pregnancy. In reality, the amount and timing of your drinking will determine whether or not the baby is effected, but it will be difficult to tell. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN. You can discuss your risk factors including the amount of alcohol you were drinking before you realized your were pregnant. He or she will be able to give you a more realistic answer to the question of whether your fetus could have been affected or not. Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy.