Can uterine fibroids grow cancerous tumors?

I had a uterine fibroid diagnosis a few months ago that I've been fretting about, despite being told by my gynecologist that I shouldn't worry, that it would probably go away on its own. She also said definitively that it's not cancerous - but can't it become cancerous, or give rise to a new kind of growth that is cancerous?
Any tumor, regardless of what our doctors say about it can be a source of distress. I will try and give you some information that will hopefully allow you to approach this matter with the appropriate amount of worry (which should be very little). Your gynecologist told you correctly that the uterine fibroids are benign tumors that are actually very common. They do often go away on their own, but even if they don't, they aren't treated unless you have unacceptable symptoms. Fibroids always give the people that have them anxiety out of fear that they will become cancer. Fibroids that convert into cancer have been reported, but this happens so rarely, that the presence of fibroids does not increase your risk for any cancer. I suggest that you schedule another appointment soon to meet with your OBGYN. The two of you can discuss what the fibroid means for your future, but most likely nothing will be done at this time unless you have symptoms. If you are done having kids, then you will probably be best served by waiting until your OBGYN thinks your situation warrants removal of your uterus. Typical symptoms that necessitate hysterectomy include heavy menstrual bleeding and abdominal pain. Good luck.