ZocdocAnswersAre hysterectomies associated with anxiety?

Question

Are hysterectomies associated with anxiety?

Is there an association between having a hysterctomy and having an anxiety problem? I remember reading about this, and I'm a candidate for getting a hysterectomy myself - but I also have a history of anxiety disorders, so if this increases my risk at all, I will try to avoid it.

Answer

Hysterectomy is one of the most common types of surgeries and it is usually quite well tolerated but occasionally there are complications. The doctors who will be well qualified to discuss the issue with you in detail include your primary care doctor or your OB / GYN doctor. Often the hysterectomy also involves the removal of the ovaries. Removal of the ovaries results in menopause from the sudden withdrawal of the female hormones In addition to the effects on menstruation, hot flashes, and similar symptoms, the withdrawal of these hormones can also have profound effects on mood, causing depression, fatigue, sadness, and anxiety. Even if the ovaries are not removed, the blood flow to the ovaries often decreases after the hysterectomy which can lead to functionally lower levels of circulating hormones, producing basically the same effect. So the short answer to your question is that, if you have a history of anxiety, this might be worsened after having a hysterectomy and this is something you should take into account. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concerns will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor to discuss your options is advised .