ZocdocAnswersIs spotting nromal after physical activity?

Question

Is spotting nromal after physical activity?

Is spotting normal after engaging in moderate physical activity? This doesn't always happen to me, but I've noticed that often, after I just go for a walk, or swim, I'll start spotting just a little bit, for a little while. Is this the sort of thing I should see a doctor about? I thought it was normal until recently..

Answer

Sometimes spotting during exercise is not due to the exercise at all. For example, a small amount of spotting with ovulation mid cycle is very common. If the spotting is not occurring very frequently, it may be just that this is what is going on and that you just notice it with physical activity. Some times of birth control will also cause mid cycle spotting. If you rule these possibilities out and you are still spotting, it may be that your exercise regimen is too vigorous for your body. You should back off on your exercise regimen to see if the spotting clears up. If not, then you should probably get the issue evaluated by your doctor. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concerns will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor or your OB / GYN doctor is advised if symptoms persist.