ZocdocAnswersIs weight gain likely after a hysterectomy?

Question

Is weight gain likely after a hysterectomy?

I have gained over 35 pounds since I got my hysterectomy (4 months ago), and I'd like to know whether or not this is normal. I know your uterus can affect your hormones, so it doesn't seem too far fetched to think it could affect my hunger and my metabolism.

Answer

One likely explanation for the weight gain is that in some women the period of soreness and recovery after the hysterectomy can last for several weeks or months. This may result in a significant reduction in the amount of physical activity you have performed, which could lead to the weight gain. If you had your ovaries removed with the hysterectomy, the hormonal changes brought about this could be affecting your mood and energy level. This could definitely cause the effects on weight gain that you describe. Finally, even when the ovaries are left in place, sometimes the blood flow to the ovaries changes after the hysterectomy. This could have similar, although usually less pronounced effects, as having the ovaries removed all together. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concerns will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor or your OB / GYN doctor is advised.