ZocdocAnswersWill a hysterectomy stop irregular periods?

Question

Will a hysterectomy stop irregular periods?

I have always struggled with irregular periods. Is it possible that getting a partial hysterectomy (which, due a carcinoma, I will have to get) is going to help make my periods lighter or more regular? I've heard women talk about this sort of thing, but I don't know if it's true.

Answer

Yes, a hysterectomy will change parts of your period significantly. The normal menstrual cycle occurs because hormones in the body cause the walls of the uterus to grow with blood vessels and other tissue. When these hormones cease due to normal changes during a woman's menstrual cycle, the tissue is then sloughed off through the vagina, which is noted by a woman at regular intervals in most cases. Many factors can cause one woman's cycle and period to last longer, shorter, or be heavier than another woman's cycle or period. Once you have had a hysterectomy, the uterus is no longer present. An absent uterus means that vaginal bleeding should decrease significantly, as there is no longer a supply of uterine tissue that needs to be discarded during each cycle. Your cycle will therefore be much more likely to have less bleeding (not be as heavy). The other part of your question is with regards to regularity. It will depend in great degree on whether or not your surgery will include resection of the ovaries. It is possible that your periods may remain irregular, and it is common for menopause to come earlier in women who have had a hysterectomy. A hysterectomy is a significant procedure that will affect your life in many ways. It will be important to talk frequently and frankly with your surgeon about the changes that are occurring with your body, both before and after your uterus is removed.