ZocdocAnswersIs there a way to make one's period shorter?

Question

Is there a way to make one's period shorter?

Is there a way to make yor periods shorter, if you are the sort of woman whose periods are just too long and heavy? I mean, I can live with my periods, but they're totally inconvenient. There must be some herbal or lifestyle-related technique we can use to shorten them

Answer

The length and heaviness of periods do tend to vary considerably from woman to woman. Sometimes the heaviness and length of the periods can cause an iron deficiency anemia or, simply, can just be a major inconvenience as you describe. In these cases, there are several options that you could use to control the periods, most of them based around birth control technologies. For example, extended cycle oral birth control pills, such as Seasonale, can be used in such a way that periods come only every three months! Injection forms of contraception such as Depo Provera often result in shorter periods and after several rounds of injection, periods sometimes stop all together. Similarly, an intrauterine device like a Mirena device will often cause periods to stop. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concern will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor or your OB / GYN doctor to discuss your options is strongly advised.