Is fatigue associated with uterine fibroids?

Is fatigue actually a symptom of uterine fibroids? I heard that this was true, and I do have some of the other symptoms. And while I am an easily run-down person, I feel that that's because of my work-hard play-hard lifestyle. How do you recognize fatigue?
Uterine fibroids are benign tumors that arise from the muscular layer of the uterus. They are extremely common, occurring in up to 50% of women by the time they reach middle age. Uterine fibroids often have no symptoms, but they can cause abdominal or pelvic pain, cramping, and excessive uterine bleeding. Occasionally, they cause infertility. Fatigue is associated with uterine fibroids, but it is important to realize that this is simply because they can result in heavy menstrual bleeding. Over time heavy menstrual bleeding can lead to an iron deficiency anemia, which is what actually causes the fatigue. In other words, if you do not have heavy menstrual bleeding, it is very unlikely that the fatigue is from uterine fibroids. Fibroids can be treated by your OB / GYN doctor in several ways, including medications and surgery. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor or your OB / GYN doctor is highly recommended.

Nearby OB-GYNs