ZocdocAnswersHow do Depo Provera and the NuvaRing differ?

Question

How do Depo Provera and the NuvaRing differ?

What is the difference between Depo Provera and the NuvaRing? I'm trying to decide between types of birth control, and it's kind of intimidating how many kinds and brands there are to choose from. I think I've heard bad things about DepoProvera, but I can't remember.

Answer

Depo Provera and the NuvaRing are two forms of contraception that are quite different from each other. The NuvaRing is a small flexible plastic device which is impregnated with the same to hormones that are found in most oral contraception daily pills. The device is inserted into the vagina for 3 weeks and removed during the 4th, which results in a period. The device has basically the same side effects and effectiveness as oral contraceptive pills. Depo Provera on the other hand is a single hormone only which is injected under the skin every three months, resulting in contraception. It works slightly differently from the NuvaRing but is equally effective in preventing pregnancy. The main disadvantage with Depo Provera is that it can decrease bone mineral density. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concerns will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor to discuss your contraceptive options is recommended.