ZocdocAnswersCan an ultrasound detet fibrocystic changes?

Question

Can an ultrasound detet fibrocystic changes?

Can an ultrasound detect changes to a cystic fibroid? I just hope to be able to check in with my ob-gyn in a few months and make sure that my fibroid is actually getting smaller, but he was oblique about whether or not he'd be able to tell for certain. How are these things typically monitored?

Answer

Fibrocystic breast changes are a very common medical problem. The doctors who will be well qualified to discuss this issue with you in greater detail include your primary care doctor or your OB / GYN doctor. Fibrocystic changes in the breasts are caused by cyclical variations with menstruation in the stimulation of milk producing cells in the breasts that leads to some inflammation and scarring. This is felt on exam as lumpy, ropy, and occasionally tender areas within the breasts. There is a small increased risk for breastfeeding. A urine pregnanst cancer in those with fibrocystic changes, but it is generally benign. Usually fibrocystic changes are just monitored by the physical exam, as you can tell how things are by feeling for the lumpy areas in the breast. Sometimes ultrasound exams are performed, particularly if there is one area that looks more prominent than another. Ultrasound can subsequently be used to follow these areas, if they are determined to be benign, but this is not always done. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor or your OB / GYN doctor to discuss your concerns is advised.