ZocdocAnswersDoes Chlamydia cause dark vaginal discharge?

Question

Does Chlamydia cause dark vaginal discharge?

Can chlamydia cause a woman to have dark colored discharge from her vagina, or is that possibly just a symptom of something strange happening in terms of menstruation? I might have been exposed to chlamydia by a former partner, so I'm very watchful of these things. I don't have any other symptoms, so far.

Answer

Several sexually transmitted infections can cause an increase in vaginal discharge. These include chlamydia, gonorrhea, and trichomonas. Other symptoms can include a bad odor, vaginal itching, pain with urination, and abdominal pain. However, it is very important to point out that many times sexually transmitted infections in women are basically without symptoms. This does not mean that they do not cause damage. A major risk of sexually transmitted infections is pelvic inflammatory disease, which can cause scarring of the reproductive organs, leading to chronic pain and infertility later in life. Therefore if you have any concerns whatsoever about exposure to a sexually transmitted infection it is very important that you get tested as soon as possible by your doctor, and that you avoid sexual activity until the issue is cleared up. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concern will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor is highly recommended.