Is it normal for the labia majora to be dry?

Is it normal for a woman's labia majora to be dry? My outer labia have been quite dry for years - and it was different when I was a teenager, but so is everything else. Is this a sign of a problem, or is it just part of the variation of people's bodies?
Dry skin around the labia majora is not something that needs to be worried about if it does not bother you. You could attempt to apply a moisturizing lotion to see if that takes care of the symptoms. If, however, the dry skin is accompanied by itching or redness, then you may have dermatitis of the vulvar area. This can be caused by many things, but the most common include reactions to various personal care products (such as soaps) and moisture. Keeping the skin clean and dry and wearing absorbant underwear can help, as can avoiding strong personal care products. Rarely, more serious skin condition can occur here. For example, if the skin begins to appear shiny, wrinkled, taut, or to have patches of white this could be lichen sclerosis, which should be investigated by a dermatologist. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor might be indicated.