ZocdocAnswersWhat is the best way to treat vaginal fungus?

Question

What is the best way to treat vaginal fungus?

What is the best way to treat vaginal fungus? I'm a 24 year old woman with a long-running, recurring yeast infection that I'd do anything to get rid of. I've heard that boric acid can be a good (but really severe) DIY treatment, so I'm considering it. Is that safe? What should I do?

Answer

Vaginal infections by fungus are a very common problem for many women. The doctors who will be well qualified to discuss this issue with you in greater detail include your primary care doctor or your OB / GYN doctor. Vaginal fungal infection, or yeast infection, or vaginal thrush (all these are the same condition with different names) is a very common problem for women. The basis for treatment includes good vaginal hygiene, cleaning the external area of the vagina with warm water, and wearing absorbant cotton underwear. It may also help to take a probiotic supplement, which is good for the health of normal bacteria which live in the vagina and prevent yeast infections. It is very important to avoid ALL douching or chemical treatments of the vagina, such as with boric acid. All that these treatments do is kill off the normal vaginal bacteria, making it easier for the fungus to set up shop. In place of these treatments, an over the counter antifungal cream, such as Monistat, can be used; alternatively, your doctor can prescribe a stronger antifungal medicine. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concern will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor or OB / GYN doctor is strongly advised.