ZocdocAnswersDo partial hysterectomies make one infertile?

Question

Do partial hysterectomies make one infertile?

Does it make you infertile to get a partial hysterectomy? I understand that it's possible to continue having your period after you've had a partial hysterectomy, but I've also heard that it's basically impossible to get pregnant at that point. How can both of these things be true?

Answer

Hysterectomy refers to a type of operation that removes the uterus. Removal of the uterus by definition means that it is no longer possible to get pregnant, and this includes partial hysterectomy. A partial hysterectomy simply means that, although the uterus is removed, the cervix is left in place. This is sometimes a preferred operation because there is less risk for prolapse of vagina afterwards, and because many women feel that sex life with the cervix left in place is better. A partial hysterectomy is not an option if the reason for the hysterectomy is cervical cancer, obviously. After a partial hysterectomy, since the cervix is left in place, there might be some continue mucus discharge from the normal glands located in the cervix but, because there is no longer a uterus, there will be no menstruation. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concern will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your OB / GYN doctor might be advised.