How long do periods last after a miscarriage?

I'm a 30 year old woman who just had a miscarriage (it was not very far along), and I've noticed that my periods seem to be a lot longer and heavier than they were before. Is this a normal effect of having a miscarriage, or is this a problem that I should go to a doctor to discuss?
Miscarriage is a common problem, unfortunately, and many women have questions about the effects of miscarriage on menstruation. The doctors who will be best qualified to discuss this issue with you in greater detail include your primary care doctor or your OB / GYN doctor. Pregnancies, including miscarriages, results in high circulating levels of female hormones. These have many effects on the uterus and ovaries and other parts of the body. After a miscarriage, when these levels suddenly decrease, it can cause a bit of disequilibrium for the normal menstrual cycle. It can take several months for your body to settle back into its normal rhythm. However, if you are finding that your periods are unusually painful or large amounts of bleeding and this is not settling down, it is worth talking to your doctor. Heavy bleeding cause anemia, and long menstrual cycles can interfere with your daily life. Sometimes oral contraceptives can be used to reset the menstrual cycle and bring you back to your normal cycle. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concerns will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your OB / GYN doctor is recommended.