ZocdocAnswersIs it normal for a period to skip two months?

Question

Is it normal for a period to skip two months?

How unusual is it for a woman's period to skip two consecutive months? I definitely missed last month, and while I'm not entirely certain, I believe I've now missed this month, too. But I know for a fact that I'm not pregnant, so does this indicate that I have a disease or something? They're sometimes irregular, but nothing like this.

Answer

There are several reasons that a period might skip. By far the most common reason is pregnancy. There, if you have been sexually active at all in the last few months, you should obtain a pregnancy test to make sure you are not pregnant, even if you are convinced that this is not what is going on. After ruling out pregnancy, there are several other reasons for irregular periods. For example if you have recently switched contraceptive methods, if you are using Depo-Provera, or if you have a Mirena IUD in place, these could all result in loss of periods. If you have a history in the past of irregular periods, then polycystic ovarian syndrome might be a possibility. Hypothyroidism can also cause missed periods. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concerns will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor or your OB / GYN doctor is highly recommended.