Does a swollen uterus need to be operated on?

Is there any good way to treat a swollen uterus? Are there surgical options? As I understand it, the fact that my uterus is swollen has been causing me a number of problems, which the doctor basically advised me to ignore. Is there any solution other than the extreme one (hysterectomy)?
It is difficult to know what a 'swollen uterus' means without further details, but it probably means that the overall size of your uterus is increased based on a recent ultrasound. The two most common causes of an enlarged uterus are uterine fibroids, which are benign muscular growths in the uterine wall, and adenomyosis, which is a proliferation of the normal uterine glands into the muscular wall of the uterus. These conditions are very common, affecting up to 50% of women by middle age, and can cause abdominal pain and heavy bleeding and cramping with menstruation. If you have these symptoms, then sometimes your doctor will advise medications, such as oral contraceptives, to regulate your cycles a bit. There are also stronger medicines that may be used. If these do not work, then surgery to remove the uterus is the best option. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concerns will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor or your OB / GYN doctor is advised.

Nearby OB-GYNs