Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"Are yeast infections a result of intercourse?"


Is it possible to contract a yeast infection as a result of intercourse? It seemed very much like my yeast infection developed soon after I had sex with my last partner, but I've never heard of yeast infections being passed like an STD. If so, should my former partner get treated, too?


Yeast infections of the vagina, also called vaginal thrush, are not a sexually transmitted infection, technically, because they do not have any long term consequence. However, the yeast is a microorganism that thrives in moist environments like the groin and genitalia. Therefore, yes, it is possible to 'share' a yeast infection back and forth with a sexual partner.

See a doctor who can help

Find a Obgyns near you

A small percentage of men will care yeast on their genitals, and others will carry it in the mouth (so oral sex can be a risk factor too). One way to deal with this would be for both of you to get treated with an antifungal medicine as prescribed by your doctors. You can also take probiotics to improve the health of normal vaginal bacteria, and avoid douching or other harsh vaginal treatments. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concern will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor might be indicated.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.