ZocdocAnswersWhat happens after a retinal tear?

Question

What happens after a retinal tear?

I began seeing flashes of light recently, and now I'm having a lot of floaters, which I read are both definite risk factors for ""retinal tears"". So now I have several questions: How likely is it that I have had a retinal tear? If that is what happened, what is the course of treatment they'll take?

Answer

Retinal detachment and tearing is a problem that usually occurs in older adults and is usually related to the age related degeneration of some structures in the eye. Retinal detachment can also occur after eye trauma. The most common symptom of retinal detachment or tear is an increase in the number and size of floaters. These can either be a nuisance or visually disabling. Many people also experience flashes of light and blurry vision. The treatment of retinal detachment or tear depends on the type and the location. Small detachments may just be observed for spontaneous healing, but others may require office procedures such as laser therapy or even an operation performed in the operating room. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concerns will require a physical examination by your personal physician. As some of the symptoms you are experiencing are consistent with a retinal problem, making an emergency appointment with your eye doctor is strongly advised.