ZocdocAnswersWhat causes eyelashes to fall out?

Question

What causes eyelashes to fall out?

Why do people's eyelashes fall out? Does it indicate that there is some kind of problem, maybe with the type of makeup I wear? It's just strange because I won't notice it for a while, then a bunch of them will be on my cheek all at once. It seems to happen overnight, if that makes a difference.

Answer

The most common reason for eyelashes to fall out is related to make-up. For example, if the mascara or eye makeup you use is difficult to remove, the physical actions associated with removing the mascara may be pulling out the lashes. You may want to switch to a lighter eye makeup or use no makeup at all. Similarly, heavy thick mascara may actually weigh down and pull out lashes, and using an eyelash curler may have the same effect. If these changes do not help, you may want to make sure you do not have an infection at the eyelid edge, especially if you notice redness, crusting, or tenderness at the border of the eyelid. Finally, rarely thyroid or other hormonal conditions can effect the thickness of the eyelashes. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concerns will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with you primary care doctor or your dermatologist might be advised.