Is mole removal inside the eyelid safe?

I have been having pretty bad eye pain that developed gradually over the last few months. I finally got my eyes examined, only to be told by my doctor that I have a mole growing inside my eyelid that is irritating the surface of the eye. How safe is it to get that kind of mole removed?
Moles or nevi are small collections of pigmented cells called melanocytes that collect under the skin. They are generally benign and they cause problems in two ways. First, they can be physically irritating or cosmetically undesirable, as you describe. Second, there is a small chance that they can turn into melanoma, a serious form of skin cancer. It is likely that, if the mole is on the eyelid itself, that it can be removed safely and easily and with a good cosmetic result. Your eye doctor may refer you to a surgeon capable of performing the procedure. On the other hand moles on the eyeball themselves are generally left alone unless they are suspicious for cancer. Warning signs for cancer include moles that are irregular, raised, growing rapidly, have multiple colors, or are greater than 6 mm in diameter. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular condition will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your eye doctor to discuss your options is strongly advised.

Other Ophthalmologists