What are the symptoms of a torn retina?

I know that detached retinas run in my family, but I don't know what to look for in case this ever happens to me. What are the symptoms of a torn retina? At what point, if you begin to have some of these symptoms, should you go to the doctor?
Retinal detachment and tearing is a problem that usually occurs in older adults and is usually related to age related degeneration of some structures in the eye. Retinal detachment can also occur after eye trauma. The most common symptom of retinal detachment or tear is an increase in the number or size of 'floaters' in the eye. These can sometimes just be a nuisance, but they are often visually disabling. There may also be small flashes of light and blurry vision. Retinal detachment or tear is a serious medical problem which requires prompt medical evaluation in order to prevent permanent visual loss. As always the diagnosis and the management of any particular concern will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an emergency visit with your eye doctor or going to the emergency room would be the appropriate response if you feel that you might be having a problem with the retina.

Other Ophthalmologists