Is there a way to cure retinitis pigments?

Is there a cure - or at least a good treatment - for retinitis pigmentosa? I know it runs in my family and I'm doing my best to take care of my eye health (I haven't been diagnosed? yet?), and I've read a lot of contradictory things about wearing sunglasses and taking vitamin A supplements.
Retinitis pigmentosa is a rare degenerative eye condition in which the light sensing cells of retina degenerate, leading to night blindness and loss peripheral vision and sometimes central vision as well. The doctors who will be well qualified to discuss this issue with you in greater detail include your eye doctor. There is unfortunately no cure for retinitis pigmentosa. Several rare genetic causes retinitis pigmentosa can be treated with various dietary modifications, but most cases of retinitis pigmentosa do not fall into these categories. Treatments that have been tried include vitamin A supplementation. The use of vitamin A has many potential side effects, include liver damage, and the evidence is not clear that it helps. Therefore its use in retinitis pigmentosa remains controversial. Although in some animal models, light reduction (e.g. sun glasses) had an effect, this benefit has not been shown in humans. There are several experimental approaches, including retinal cell transplants, which are not routinely available. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concerns will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your eye doctor if you are experiencing any concerning visual symptoms is highly advised.

Other Ophthalmologists