What charges yellow discharge from the eyes?

My daughter (age ten) has disharge coming from her eyes in the morning that's yellowish in color. Why? I don't want to make a big deal out of nothing, but I'm pretty sure this is discharge, and not just the normal 'sleep' type that kids get. Should we take her to a doctor?
Yellow discharge from the eyes can be normal, or a bacterial or viral infection. The best physician to approach about this problem is your daughter's pediatrician. A certain amount of yellow discharge in children can be normal. If it seems excessive, or is matting her eye shut, then it may be a type of infection. Conjunctivitis is an infection of the surface of they eye that can cause discharge. The infection can be viral or bacterial. The bacterial infections require an antibiotic eye drop to avoid possible permanent damage to the eye. The viral infections require no treatment, though children are often given antibiotic eye drops just in case there is a misdiagnosis. Another cause of eye discharge is a middle ear infection. Ear infections are very common in kids an while their main symptom is fever and ear pain, they can also result in crusty eye discharge. I suggest that you schedule an appointment for your daughter with her pediatrician. He or she can take a more detailed history of her symptoms and perform a thorough physical exam including looking at her eyes, ears, and mouth. If her doctor suspects bacterial conjunctivitis or a middle ear infection, the he or she may prescribe some antibiotics.

Nearby Pediatricians

Other Pediatricians