Is laser treatment needed after a torn retina?

Can laser treatment be used to work on a torn retina? My mom (age 71) is going into the eye doctor later today for an evaluation of her symptoms, but I'm pretty sure (just from reading online) that she does in fact have a torn retina. And I'm willing to pay more for laser treatment if that's less traumatic than traditional surgery.
A torn retina is a serious but treatable eye condition that can be serious without prompt medical attention. The best doctor to consult with about this is an ophthalmologist. Retinal detachment causes sudden flashes of light, new "floaters" and subsequent vision loss. It can be confused with other vision problems and can only be diagnosed by an ophthalmologist examining her eye with special equipment they have in their offices. There is a laser option, though it is sometimes not adequate all by itself. Other procedure such as the vitrectomy and retinopexy may also be required to restore her vision. I am sure that her insurance will cover which ever procedure is indicated. It sounds like by the time you get this answer that you will have already had your mother see a doctor and probably have a diagnosis and a treatment plan. If for some reason you think that your mother is not being given all the possible treatment options, or if one option that you don't like is being favored over another, then you can get a second opinion. However, as I stated above, retinal detachment can rapidly lead to permanent vision loss and therefore prompt treatment is required. I hope it all works out well.

Other Ophthalmologists