Can a burst blood vessel give one a black eye?

Can having a burst blood vessel give you the appearance of a black eye? A friend claims that this is what happened to him, and that it's happened before? but I'm suspicious, and I just want to know what happened to him.
A black eye is simply a bruise of the tissue surrounding the eye. Bruising is caused when small blood vessels rupture and the blood seeps out and collects in the surrounding tissue. The tissue under the eye is very susceptible to this, as there are multiple small fragile blood vessels there. Black eyes, or rupture of these vessels and subsequent bruising, is almost always caused by trauma to the area. It is very common, for example, to run into a blunt object and sustain a black eye. Getting hit in the face by another person will also cause this. The main areas of medical concern with black eyes is to ensure that there has been no damage to the eye itself or to the facial bones underneath the area. As always the diagnosis and the management of your friend's particular condition will require a physical examination by their personal physician. If your friend has concerns about their black eye they should set up an office visit with their primary care doctor.