ZocdocAnswersWhy are there dark spots in the white's of eyes?

Question

Why are there dark spots in the white's of eyes?

My son, who's still pretty young, has two very small dark spots in the whites of his eyes, which has me very concerned. What are these spots, and how can we get rid of them if they are a problem? Does having them mean that my son's eyesight will probably get worse?

Answer

There are several cause for pigmentation changes in the whites of the eyes. However, by far the most common is a freckle or mole (nevus), which are both collections of pigmented cells called melanocyes in the lining that covers the eye. These collections of pigmented cells can occur anywhere on the surface of the body, including the eye. Generally, these are benign, just as they are on the skin, but there is a small chance they could transform into melanoma, a serious form of cancer. Therefore, they should always be checked out by a physician. Other common causes of pigmentation changes in the eyes of young children include small bruises, which are commonly caused after minor trauma to the eyes and rupture of small blood vessels in physically active children. As always the diagnosis and the management of your son's particular condition will require a physical examination by his personal physician. Setting up an office visit with his pediatrician or his eye doctor might be advised.