ZocdocAnswersHow long does it take for eyelashes to grow back?

Question

How long does it take for eyelashes to grow back?

How long does it take for eyelashes to grow back? I know this question sounds strange, but I actually burned off all of my eyelashes not too long ago (lighting a stove, being stupid!), and I look just very strange without them. I just want some comfort that it won't take years.

Answer

Singeing of the eyelashes and eyebrows is a very common accident, usually caused by a candle flame or lighting a stove. The most important thing is to make sure that you did not also burn the skin or surface of the eye, which would cause reddening, pain, and blistering. If you do have burns, they may need to be evaluated by your physician. If you did not burn yourself, then rest assured that your eyelashes will grow back! They are just like any other part of the skin or hair, and they regularly turn over. For most people, it will require 1 or 2 months for the eyelashes to grow back completely. Unfortunately, there is not much that you can do to speed up this process. As always the diagnosis and the management of your particular concerns will require a physical examination by your personal physician. Setting up an office visit with your primary care doctor might be indicated.