Is laser eye treatment after cataract surgery safe?

My wife had to get treated for a cataract several years ago, when he was 59. Now he's 62 and I want to get him laser eye surgery as a holiday gift. But does his history of cataract rule him out as a laser treatment candidate? Would the procedure be any riskier for him?
Lasik surgery is a laser-based technique used to correct nearsightedness (myopia) and other problems with the eye that are usually treated just by wearing glasses or contacts. It works by reshaping the outer surface of the eye, called the cornea, which results in better focusing of the beams of light on the retina. Cataract surgery involves removal of cloudy lens of the eye which is located deeper in the eye, underneath the outer surface (cornea) and the colored portion (iris), and replacement with a prosthetic lens. In other words, the two surgeries are completely different and do not involve operating on the same portion of the eye. Therefore, people who have undergone cataract surgery can safely undergo Lasix surgery without a risk of additional complications. As always the diagnosis and the management of your husband's particular eye concern will require a physical examination by his personal physician. Setting up an office visit with his eye doctor to discuss his options is highly recommended.

Other Ophthalmologists